'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, October 08, 2009

on certainty 117





117.  Why is it not possible for me to doubt that I have never been on the moon? And how could I try to doubt it?

First and foremost, the supposition that perhaps I have been there could strike me as idle. Nothing would follow from it, nothing be explained by it. It would not tie in with anything in my life.

When I say “Nothing speaks for, everything against it,” this presupposes a principle of speaking for and against. That is, I must be able to say what would speak for it.



any proposition can be questioned –

doubt is always possible

how you go about doubting  -

depends on how flexible you are in your thinking –

and how imaginative you are

it might strike you as idle –

however put as a problem of physics –

it is anything but idle

and if you don’t make some kind of intellectual effort –

nothing will follow

nothing will be explained

nothing will tie in with your life

‘Nothing speaks for, everything against it’

is really a comment on the speaker –

not the proposition


(c) greg t. charlton. 2009.