'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, October 15, 2009

on certainty 126


126. I am no more certain of the meaning of my words than I am of certain judgments. Can I doubt that this colour is called “blue”?

(My) doubts form a system.



the colour –

may not be called ‘blue’

by all users

in all circumstances –

therefore –

doubt

‘(My) doubts form a system.’ –

‘system’ here is a description –

you can use this description –

in relation to (your) doubts –

bear in mind though –

that this description –

like any description –

is open to question –

open to doubt


© greg t. charlton. 2009.