'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Tuesday, February 16, 2010

on certainty 290


290.  I myself wrote in my book that children learn to understand a word in such and such a way. Do I know that, or do I believe it? Why in such a case do I write not “I believe etc.” but simply the indicative sentence?



yes –

just the indicative sentence is all that is required

prefacing any proposition with ‘I know’ or ‘I believe’ –

adds nothing to the proposition –

but unnecessary and irrelevant baggage –

which if it is not identified for what it is-

will corrupt the proposition –

and its bearer


© greg t. charlton. 2010.