'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, February 06, 2010

on certainty 275


275. If experience is the ground of our certainty, then naturally it is past experience.

And it isn’t for example just my experience, but other people’s, that I get my knowledge from.

Now one might say that it is experience again that leads us to give credence to others. But what experience makes me believe that the anatomy and physiology books don’t contain what is false? Though it is true that this trust is backed up by my own experience.



uncertainty is the ground of our experience

knowledge is uncertain – 

and it is not just my experience 

but other people’s that I get my knowledge from

my experience is uncertain –

trust is an illusion


© greg t. charlton. 2010.