'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, February 10, 2010

on certainty 281


281. I, L. W., believe, am sure, that my friend hasn’t sawdust in his body or in his head, even though I have no direct evidence of my senses to the contrary.  I am sure, by reason of what has been said to me, of what I have read, and of my experience. To have doubts about it would seem to me madness – of course, this is also in agreement with other people, but I agree with them.



your belief –

with or without so called evidence –

is uncertain –

and any so called evidence –

one way or the other –

is open to question –

open to doubt

what has been said to you –

what you have read –

and your experience –

none of this is certain

to have doubts about any belief –

is just to question that belief

you don’t know –

with any certainty –

that you are in agreement –

with others

there is always a question –

always a doubt –

even about madness


© greg t. charlton. 2010.