'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Friday, December 25, 2009

on certainty 206


206. If someone asked us “but is that true?” we might say “yes” to him; and if he demanded grounds we might say “I can’t give you any grounds, but if you learn more you will think the same”.

If this didn’t come about, that would mean that he couldn’t for example learn history.



but is that true? –

I say – yes –

and if he demands grounds?

I say there are no grounds

all I can do is reassert my assent to the proposition –

in various ways –

and point out that my view is –

as with any view –

uncertain

I can say to him –

you might end up agreeing with me –

or you may take a different view

to say –

if you learn more you’ll think the same as me

or –

if you don’t agree with me 

you can’t learn –

are good examples of –

egomania


© greg t. charlton. 2009.