'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Philosophical Grammar 10

10. “Understanding a word” – being able to apply it. –“when I said ‘I can play chess’ I really could.” How did I know that I could? My answer will show in what way I use the word “can”.

Being able is a state. “To describe a state” can mean various things. “After all I can’t have the whole mode of application of a word in my head all at once.”



understanding a word – is being able to see it as a possible of use

or if you like – to recognize its possibilities – possibilities of use

when I said ‘I can play chess’ – I really could.’ – how did I know I could?

my answer – may well show how I use the word ‘can’ – in this circumstance

and as for the ‘showing’ here – that will open to interpretation – to the interpretation of whoever I make this showing to

and their ‘interpretations’ will be open to question

‘Being able is a state. “To describe a state” can mean various things. “After all I can’t have the whole mode of application of a word in my head all at once.” ’  

what we are describing here is an action

and an action can be described in any number of way

description is propositional action

and any propositional action –

is open to question



© greg t. charlton. 2014.