'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Tuesday, August 04, 2009

on certainty 93

93. The propositions presenting what Moore ‘knows’ are all of such a kind that it is difficult to imagine why anyone should believe the contrary. E.g. the proposition that Moore has spent his whole life in close proximity to the earth – Once more I can speak of myself here instead of Moore. What could induce me to believe the opposite? Either a memory, or having been told. – Everything that I have seen or heard gives me the conviction that no man has ever been far from the earth. Nothing in my picture of the world speaks in favour of the opposite.




‘everything that I have seen or heard gives me the conviction ….’

isn’t it just that what one sees and hears – is what one goes with –

until one sees and hears – something else?

if so – one’s ‘conviction’ is based on experience –

there is no guarantee that what you experience today –

will be what you experience tomorrow –

so – a ‘conviction’ is no more than a working hypothesis –

useful as far as it goes –

but not certain


© greg t. charlton. 2009.